The Christian case for fighting hunger

Roger Thurow, co-author of Enough, makes the Christian case for fighting hunger through agricultural development.
There's the political side of hunger and a policy prism. But there is this moral imperative to solving hunger. It's the right thing to do. Churches are extremely important for pushing the moral importance of the issue of hunger. It is something appreciated and understood in churches, since one of the main precepts of all religions is to feed the hungry. And for Christians, Matthew 25:35, there it is: "I was hungry and you gave me food … What you did to the least of these my brethren, you did unto me" (v. 40).

Bono referred to that passage when he was at Wheaton College on his Heart of America tour. Francis Pelekamoyo, the head of Opportunity International in Malawi, searched the Bible and wondered: What should I do after my years as central bank governor? That's the passage he kept coming back to. This is what we should do. This is what Jesus wants us to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment