How much time does blogging take?

Joe Romm, the prolific heart and soul of Climate Progress, sheds some light on his time commitment to blogging:
I’m also trying a small change in my blogging style, to accommodate this trip and the time I need to spend working on my book through mid-September.

Normally, about 2/3 of my posts take me some 60 to 90 minutes to write and about 1/3 take 90 to 180 minutes. I’ve been trying to do more 30-minute posts in the last few days, in case you hadn’t noticed, and I expect to continue that for another month. If it proves successful, I’ll keep doing it.
For someone who posts 5-10 times a day, that is a lot of time!! It does make me feel better about not being able to crank out such lengthy, well-researched and well-cited posts all the time (OK, probably ever, and rarely even close).

When I first started People and Resources I was so excited that I dedicated quite a bit of time to it; now the initial excitement is wearing off and I am lucky to find 4-5 hours per week given my other professional and personal commitments. Today I've managed 6 posts in an hour, which feels reasonably efficient (but they were all pretty short and none had particularly deep analysis).

I guess we will see how it goes and where this adventure takes us!! And I wish Joe luck with his goal of writing more 30-minute posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment