Simplicity, only through complexity

I just finished reading Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature, by HBS professor Joseph Badaracco. It came recommended and I enjoyed it - not everything he said rang true to me, but it was a reflection-inspiring book, which is really about all one can ask for from a book that purports to teach leadership.

One quote that stuck with me was:
Compelling simplicity cannot be achieved without grappling with complexity.
This is very true in general, and definitely holds with complicated natural resources issues. The solutions (cap-and-trade?) are not that complicated at their core, but it takes a very deep understanding to get them right. Developing that type of understanding is why I started this blog, and why I enjoy it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment